Killing Jericho by William Hussey: The Detective Novel of the Year

 

Boy am I excited to talk about this one! William Hussey is an author I have followed on twitter for sometime who often writes YA including The Outrage and Hideous Beauty so when he announced an adult crime novel I was already excited. Well I was right to be because this book may just be my crime/thriller of the year.

PLOT TIME: After getting out of prison for beating up a suspect Scott Jericho is back on his Dad's fairground having casual sex and doing nothing until a case comes up that demands his attemtion. Someone is killing people in the style of an old traveller myth. Now Scott has to find the killer before they find him.

Holey moley is this book amazing! Firstly this book will be a huge hit with fans of Russ Thomas's DI Adam Tyler series and Martin Holmen's Harry Qvist. The murders are gritty, the crimes grotesque and our hero is as morally grey as they come. Yet he means well in his own way!
 
Secondly it's amazing that we have a major book with a gay traveller lead. It's amazing to see how far we've come even if we can always do better. Honestly reading the parts on the fairground made me so happy as I have a family member from the same background who uses the same words as in this book. I can't wait for him to read it. I will be passing it to him soon!

The other characters though are also memorable in their own ways from a seriously creepy professor to Scott's best friend in the force you won't forget them in a hurry. Also there is a very good dog.

Honestly I don't want to spoil the plot on this book at all. There are some seriously gnarly trists and turns and some horror behind some very unassuming doors. So all I will say is you have to check out this amazing book.


via GIPHY

Comments

Popular Posts