The Society of Obstinate Headstrong Girls: Badass Girl Heroines in Books!

One of the best things to happen in publishing at the moment is that we are getting loads of awesome young girl characters who are headstrong determined and not afraid to cause a riot if needed. I am loving this trend so much that I decided that I would share my favourite books with some real badass girls!
Starting with a brand new book with a brand new book with a brand new Obstinate Headstrong Girl is Malice in Underland by Jenni Jennings. This book literally came out in October and was the reason I wrote this list. Malice is a child born into a family that literally causes mischief as their profession however she hates it and prefers to be kind she's also super good at solving mysteries.  This one is a great little gothic mystery perfect for Tim Burton fans. 

Two more books with badass girl heroes for those who like their adventures with a decidedly gothic tinge are Demelza and the Spectre Detectors by Holly Rivers and Victoria Stitch: Bad and Glittering by Harriet Muncaster. Both are gothic style mysteries with very different heroines. Victoria Stitch is a classic anti hero who I adore and have written about previously here .A fantastic book and the illustrations are just everything! Demelza is a ghost summoner and science nerd who tries to solve the mystery of her own kidnapped grandma. This one is hilarious and briliantly written.

If you prefer more adventure type books with cool lead characters well let me give you a few. If you are looking for a book for younger readers with beautiful illustrations then Chris Riddell's Ottoline series is the one for you, my favourite being Ottoline Goes to School. Ottoline's bizarre and quirky adventures will cheer up any day of the week. They never fail to put a smile on mine.

For other adventures you would do no better than these two new releases The Strangeworlds Travel Agency by LD Lapinski and The Ship of Shadows by Maria Kuzniar. Strangeworlds follows the excellent Flick through worlds that are kept in suitcases. Ship of Shadows is all about the newly minted pirate Aleja and her adventures aboard a truly bizarre and brilliant all female pirate ship. Both of these also have amazing LGBT+ representation.

Then finally I'd just liek to shine a spotlight on one of my faviorite books with a badass girl lead and it's Peter Abraham's Down the Rabbit Hole.It's such a captivating mystery with a really cool lead called Ingrid. I don't want to spoil her or the story at all. All I'm gonna say is you have to read it.

Anyway I hope you all enjoyed this list and if you have any more suggestions feel free to let me know in the comments!



via GIPHY

Comments

Popular Posts