Misty and Scream 2020 Special: Just what the doctor ordered


I haven't talked about comics on this blog for a while which is ironic seeing as a lot of my writing originally was comics based. Hell I even covered the Power Rangers comic for Women Who Write About Comics a few years ago. However what has brought me here today is  exactly what I needed with the incoming lockdown: its a British horror comic.

For those that don't know Misty was huge many years ago and then it dwindled out of popularity. Luckily the Treasury of British Comics resurrects it every now and then for special edition. theres an upcoming winter one and this one which it shares with Scream another Horror Comic. 

I would argue that with this particular issue that the strongest stories are Misty's three. Scream's Black Beth, Black Max and The Dracula file are all continuations of others stories. Whereas Misty's three are brand new short stories in their own right. These ones really are worth the price of admission.

I wanted to quickly spotlight my two favourites though Thief of Senses and The Aegis. Both fo these stories are just incredible, with gorgeous art and punchy storylines that fit perfectly in their very compact run time. 

Thief of Senses is just 10 pages long and yet somehow still managed to twist and surprise me. In fact I'd argue it's one of the best horror comics I've read this year,

The Aegis is one for you Dark Academia fans. It's an absolute scream and the art style is just beautiful.

Overall I'd say with the lockdown on you could do no worse than pick up this comic and read it with a cup of tea on the sofa maybe with the lights on!!



via GIPHY

Comments

Popular Posts