LGBT Friendly Kids Books


So I got the inspiration for this post from someone on twitter who was asking about child friendly LGBT+ books. I listed a few then realised it was so tricky and all those books I listed were newish. None of them I really knew as a child and that got me thinking and hence this post was born
So firstly I class child as not old enough for YA and down!  So like 12 and downwards but obviously that changes with maturity and stuff so you know use discretion with this. The reason a couple of these aren't in the picture is because i've passed them on to children I work with through a youth group. We had a big book swap and I two of them through there. I can't wait until we can do book swaps again!

So here we go

The Murder Most Unladylike Series by Robin Stevens
Of course I set off with a series with dark Academia in it. I'm nothing if not predictable! Anyway this lovely series which is awesome and has really good mystery also has one of the leads come out in Death in the Spotlight. Her coming out is so cute and lovely and its just perfect. This is a great series that I 100% reccomend.

The Strangeworlds Travel Agency by LD Lapinski
I have reviewed this before (Here) but I just had to recommend it again. Perfect for fans fo Neil Gaiman's Odd and the Frost giants or Fortunately the Milk. This book is just amazing. It's casual inclusion of nonbinary characters is just lovely and Jonathan continues to be my favourite victorian dressing disaster of all time. 

Little People Big Dreams: David Bowie by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara 
Now heres one of my favourite picture books I bought to read with some of the kids I work with SEN issues.These are beautifully illustrated books and this one is no exception. Teach kids about bi icons!
Theres also a batch of these just so you know. I need the Frida Khalo, Vivienne Westwood and Alan Turing so badly!

Nothing Ever  Happens Here 
This one is one is that was snapped up during the bookswap very quickly and it went down very well! This is a lovely story about a child whose dad comes out as trans.It's sweet and lovely and very inclusive.

honourable mention
The Cure for a Crime by Roopa Farooki 
This book gets an honorable mention (also got bookswapped super quickly I swear two kids fought over this bad boy!). This super diverse adorable book with twin medical obsessed girl leads is awesome and it has a lot of lovely diverse characters including an out gay teacher. It's lovely and I always love book with girls who love STEM. Also  the crime is super inventive I didn't think I'd be as obsessed with this book as I was. 

So there we go 5 LGBT children's books and series. If you have any reccs for me feel free to put them in the comments


via GIPHY
As usual if you buy any of these please get them from an indie bookshop!



Comments

Popular Posts