Good Food For Bad Days Mini Review


Happy First week in Pride guys. At the moment there's a lot of awful going on out there. At the bottom of this post I've put some links in of petitions to sign and causes to donate to if you can. Anyway today for the first week of Pride month this book  couldn't have come at a better time.



I've been following Jack Monroe since I was in sixth form trying to desperately impress my new friendship group with an assortment of baked goods. Despite the fact my baking was near criminal. The apple soda bread on her site saved me more times than I wish to bring up. Also their's an Onion Bhaji recipe that is so perfect I almost dream about it and thats me making them if they were made by someone who was halfway decent they'd probably be near biblical!

Her new book "Good Food for Bad Days" is just what we need at the moment. Or at least it's what I need. It's got her trademark, charm wit and natty recipes.


 So this book came to me at the right time! To be honest the biggest problem was choosing what to cook from it. Because what's the point in a cook book a review if you don't try and make at least one thing. I've wanted to make more but I've only had it since Tuesday and I'm writing this on a  Thursday. so cut me some slack.

So what I made was the "Silent Courgette Cake" because sod it we need cake at the moment. It feels like all I do is work, feel sad and then get to a point where my sadness force me to make cake to make myself momentarily better then restart the cycle. Mental illness is fun (not)!

Anywho this cake contains two courgettes, no eggs and 8 tablespoons (ok I did desert spoons) of marmalade. It's like a cake for Paddington bear but doesn't taste like it has any of those ingredients. It tastes like a dense brownie sorta thing. It's magic as i'd expect coming from Jack Monroe.

Anyway here's some photos.

See the green goo is courgette and marmalade and then you mix it into your dry and bam


Chocolate cake batter! What the hell this is witchcraft!

and if you chuck all that in the oven you get a dense loaf cake
Seriously Magic!

Anyway Happy Pride. Stay safe and healthy lads as I've said the links for Black Lives Matter information is here. If you can donate that would be great but if you can't signed petitions will help.


Black Lives Matter Ways to help : BLM petitionsBLM charities that need donations  , How to Support Black Publishers and Bookshops

Comments

Popular Posts