LGBT Dark Academia


So here's a subject close to my heart at the moment Dark Academia. If you aren't aware Dark Academia is an aesthetic that has been taking off recently. It's darkened corridors, candles, ancient and unknowable texts, rich girl cliques and boys that should know better. Here I'm going to give you a quick rundown of some LGBTQ+ Dark Academia of different types. Not just schools. Here we run the gamut of the grotesque, garish and gay! It's going to be fun.

So let's start from the bottom and work our way to the top!


The Prepare to Cry Classic
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
Firstly I had to put the American cover for this on here as it makes me feel feelings a lot. This book follows four friends: Malcolm, JB, Jude and Willem through their lives. It's not your traditional Dark Academia but I'd say it counts. They go through universities and academic careers some of them. The real tragedy is in just one of the boys; Jude StClair who you'll love. He's a tragic character and I cried through this book. It's beautifully tragic and devastating. 

The Boarding School Party Goer
Wonderland by Juno Dawson
I reviewed this last week and whilst it's not my favourite book of the year it is Dark Academia to the extreme. We have old boarding school rivalries, rich people who just don't care, drugs, mysterious deaths and secret trysts. 

The Crime Solving School Girls
A Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens

I also included this bad boy in my roundup of LGBT kids books. But anyway it's the 1930's and there has been a nasty murder at an all girls boarding school. Hazel and Daisy form a secret society and try to solve the case. It's a fantastic series and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

The Artists Academia
Lote by Shola Von Reinhold

I just finished this and it's possibly the most promising Dark Academia of the year and it's only June. This book examines race, the erasure of black art through history and more in a fascinating strange and often funny book. It has a dark humour to it that I enjoyed immensely. Bits of it were genuinely unsettling too. I finished it yesterday and I'm not over it yet

My Favourite 
If We Were Villains by ML Rio

This is the pinnacle of Dark Academia. Filled with Shakespeare, strange cliques, murders and loads of gay yearning, ML Rio's book is a masterpeice. It will stay with you forever.



via GIPHY
Anyway guys I hope you enjoyed this and let me know in the comics of any Dark Academic books you love.


Comments

Popular Posts