Nothing Burns as Bright As You by Ashley Woodfolk: Review

Hello Everyone I'm officially kicking off my pride content only a few weeks late! Work has been crazy busy and I haven't had much time to think let alone write. Anyway this book I've actually been saving for Pride Month and it was sent to me by the lovely folks at Harper 360 in echange for an honest review. As April was so busy I deicded instead of trying to jam it into May I would wait until Pride month to talk about this gorgeous book. I promise it was worth the wait!
Nothing Burns as Bright of You is the story of our narrators first all consuming love with another girl known only to us as "you". Our narrator tells us various events leading up to the end of a tumultuos and confusing relationship laced with angst, love and yearning.

This book is written entirely in verse in a way that is both beautiful and haunting. It is also written nonlinearly which leaves you the reader to put the story together in order. It's absolutely excellent and every line will have you hooked.  I couldn't put this down and read it in just under an hour.

"Nothing" is a fantastic and heart rending tale oif queer love, finding yourself and mistakes you make along the way. Words cannot express how beautiful this book is. 

It is a fantastic representation of queer teenage hood as well as looking at how PoC teens are treated in America. All those classic teenage emotions are there as well as the pain of heartbreak and the sadness of not fitting in in your own family.  It's searing in it's portrayal and will leave a mark on you. A masterpeice.


 

via GIPHY

Comments

Popular Posts