The Secret Lives of Church Ladies by Deesha Philyaw

 

Happy New Year everyone! I had to start this year off with this gorgeous book of short stories sent to me by the lovely Pushkin Press! As usual  I was sent this book in exchange for a honest review and  I am unbiased. This book actually starts at new year so it seemed perfect to delay my review until then!! Anyway on with the show!

This book is a selection of beautiful short stories looking at the instersection of race, religion and sexuality. The main characters are all black women who are going through life events in relation in these three things. From a lesbian couple dealing with moving to a snowy place and missing home to a teenager lusting over the pastors wife.

Every story is a complete gem. There wasn't one story I didn't enjoy and they were in so many different styles. Not one was similar to the last. there's one thats a guide, another a letter, others the thoughts of other characters, some dueling PoVs. Not one story is the same even if some do link together in ways  I refuse to spoil.

I read this in one night and loved every single minute. It was beautiful, funny and daring. Every story seemed to leap off the page and by the end you missed all the women you spent the evening with.

Every story leaps off the page in full blown technicolour you can smell the peach cobblers, feel the snow and hear the fireworks just like the characters can. But most of all you sympathise and grow to love them all with all their foibles with all their strangeness their wants and needs.

This book is probably one I must ask all of you to read in the new year! Make it your news years resolution when this comes out to pick up a copy. You won't regret it!


via GIPHY

Comments

Popular Posts