Catch Lilli Too by Sophie Whittemore Review

 


I don't know about anyone else but if you are a big fan of monster based supernatural things the last couple pf weeks have been how shall we put it rocky. Our Wayward sons have finally stopped carrying on and now we are stuck in a void. As I was moping around feeling sorry for myself about the homophobic shitstorm that happened on my favourite show of my youth I got offered a chance to read this book and it is the big queer supernatural antidote that warmed by cold heart!

Putting it mildly this book is utterly bonkers in the best way and frankly I needed a big queer monster book full of gays, guns and gore. I got that and frankly I'm very grateful. 

So the plot is relatively simple and yet beautifully complicated. Lilli is a depressed asexual siren with amnesia who turns up in a little town of Gamin and finds a a slew of gorey murders with supernatural origins. She checks into The Sweeney Inn run by two necromancers and gets involved in saving the crimes and meeting the various monsters in the town.

I loved this book completely the characters are all completely memorable and hilarious. The representation is just amazing and like all good queer books there a fantastic found family narrative that made my little heart swell. This book has this undercurrent of queer Scooby doo for supernatural creatures and I'm hundred percent behind that!

The one downside however was that I felt this could have been two books. It feels like there are two endings as it stops completely the mystery seems to be solved and then it opens all over again and the mystery is really solved. It ended up being quite jarring and threw me out completely. however the very end was incredibly satisfying. 

Overall despite my slight problem with it I loved this book. The diversity of characters, fun story and crackling wit of the characters combined with he hilarious location details honestly make this book a must read. Also what I adored was seeing the trigger warnings so obvious and the work that has gone into it to keep the representation so perfect. 

This book is perfect for fans of Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero and the Widdershins series by Jordan L Hawk. 

Comments

Popular Posts