A Curse of Ash and Embers by Jo Spurrier - ARC Review!

 
Sometimes I am exceptionally lucky on this blog that I get sent ARCS of books. This year I've already got to do some really awesome books and recently I got sent a huge selection from Harper 360 YA. One fo which I have featured on my twitter (Devastation Class) and now this book which I have been saving for the Spooky season!


Summary Time: This book is all about the aftermath of a fight between two Blackbone witches.  One survived but was mortally wounded and the other died but continued to linger on as a malevolent spirit seeking vengeance. Elodie, an illiterate farm girl is summoned to work at the mysterious and dishevelled Black Oak Cottage where monster lurk around them and everything isn't what it seems. 

This book is probably one of my favourite YA's I have read in a while. Elodie is an amazing character and you really relate to her. It's not your stand fish out of water story and watching Elodie grow happier and stronger in her new environment is a joy to behold. Aleida, as well the surviving the Blackbone witch, is great too. She's nice and complicated and is only trying to survive. The two of them slowly become a great team and their friendship is one of the highlights of this book.

It's also genuinely quite unsettling at times. A lot of the magic at play here is horrifying and violent. This isn't just some basic stuff this magic is potent and is out to hurt you if you mess with it. We have trees of the devil, bone magic, possession, warlocks and creatures out to hurt. 

The world is dark and out to get you if you mess with it. This isn't a pretty witch story this one comes with guts and teeth. I loved it completely. The aesthetic is very swampy and creepy and incredibly lovable. At times I couldn't put it down. In fact waiting to post this for Spooky Season was almost difficult because I wanted to let you know all about it!



What do you think of the sound of this book? Do you like Witch stories comment below!

via GIPHY

Comments

Popular Posts