My 30 Days of Queer Reading- Reading Pride


Over June I have been tweeting a different book for everyday based off the Reading Pride things I stole from Portal Bookshop. So this is a typed up version with a few more bits of info on it for people who want more.




Day 1-. Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire. This is the first one I remember being soley about a queer lead. Most of the books I used to read had queer side characters. Thats why I chose this one for this prompt not some fo the others I had read before.

Day 2-Hannah Moskowitz's Teeth means a lot to me. It was a gift from my parents and its just a fantastic book

Day 3- The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins. I've been looking forward to it but I'm always slower at reading Hardbacks.

Day 4- Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. This book is a classic. It's amazing and most importantly it has name in the title so it fits this prompt!

Day 5- The Strangeworlds Travel Agency by Ld Lapinski. What a great book but my reason for picking it is that Jonathan has an awesome job even if he doesn't enjoy it because of the circumstances.

Day 6-  Midnighter: Anthem by Keith Giffen. One of my fave graphic novels and the best gay superhero their is.  hands down.

Day 7-  The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice. I never put this down. It's my go to if i'm sad, happy whatever. Vampires for every occasion and every mood!

Day 8- Nothing Ever Happens Here by Sarah Hagger-Holt. This book was super cute, nice and had a lovely ending. I passed this on to some children I work with and it went in the book swap and was taken in two seconds flat!

Day 9- The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall. This is a lesbian classic and a massive book. A big old sapphic doorstop. Worth reading for the history alone.

Day 10- Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero. A FUCKING CLASSIC. BIG GAY SCOOBY DOO HORROR PARODY. HELLS YEAH BABY

Day 11- Angel Nest by Erica Sakurazawa. I don't read manga very often anymore nor do I read this very romantic chick-lit style of manga known as Josei yet I love this book. life is strange and full of angels apparently!

Day 12-Wranglestone by Darren Charlton. The location makes this book even better. It's town on a freezing lake with all the houses on stilts or treehouses. It's big, scary and remote.

Day 13- The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One by Amanda Lovelace. Reading these really blew my mind she put words to feeling I could barely express. Incredible and thought provoking

Day 14-A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. Not even a contest. This book i heartbreaking, beautiful and so fucking sad. I just can't cope with it. I cried like 4 times reading it!

Day 15- Murder in the Kitchen by Alice B Toklas. A gay as hell memoir and cookbook that is also so damn funny.

Day 16- If We Were Villains by ML Rio. A Book I think of so often. Perfect in its own way. I read it in an hour at a family picnic with my family and our closest family friend and it was just perfect.

Day 17-Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. It counts as its a spin off of Fangirl *which is also excellent) and its just an amazing book. I need to read the sequel.

Day 18-Ugh I don't have faviorite authors I change like the seasons. So I went for a classic author and one of the best books every Oscar Wilde and The Picture of Dorian gray

Day 19- The Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric  first book I remember reading with amoral lesbian character who wasn't saccharine sweet or automatically the hero plus she had disabilities. She was awesome! It was so cool to me. I still think about it to this day.

Day 20- The Murder Most Unladylike Series by Robin Stevens. It's perfect, dark academia and super fun. It's ending soon and I will cry.

Day 21- I know I said I would repeat but If We Were Villains by ML Rio READ IT

Day 22- Proud edited by Juno Dawson- t really made me stand up a bit and realise that I was 1. a super proud queer woman and 2. I needed to read, recommend and suggest to libraries to buy more queer books. Amazing and every story was great!

Day 23- Carol by Patricia Highsmith. A True sapphic classic and super gripping


Day 24- Oooh any of the amazing gay YA thats around now that would have been great for teen me but I'm gonna go with Queer, There and Everywhere by Sarah Prager. It's super important to know queer history and the badass people that made it plus its a great and easy read.



Day 25- The Deathless Girls by Kiran Millwood Hargrave - reimagining of Dracula. It's great and very gay. Set in old-timey Romania


Day 26- I have already used Midnighter (who is too underrated) so I'm gonna go with Deadpool: Dead Presidents by Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan and Tony Moore.


Day 27- Little People Big Dreams: David Bowie by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara stunnign childrens picture book. Just beautiful


Day 28- Like Other Girls by Claire Hennessy. A powerful but difficult book. The lead was quite difficult to like but her journey was fascinating and very uncomfortable



Day 29- I'm gonna say Lote by Shola Von Reinhold.It made me fall in love with the town and all the weird things that go on in it.

Day 30- Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block. That final line is so perfect I just swoon.



via GIPHY


I did it! Can't believe I actually managed this!

Comments

Popular Posts