Lego Ideas: Women of Nasa review

So I don't write about this much but I am big ol' lego fan. I've mentioned the movies before but I love the kits. I also if you follow this bog or my twitter know I love space stuff. Anyway the two collided when I was at the lego shop and saw that Lego Ideas had made a Women of Nasa set. I just had to pick it up especially as I has seen it go through the Lego ideas process and voted for it back when it was going through the process. So here's my review of this set!

back of the box

Firstly one thing I noticed in the Lego shop when I bought this set was at least three other girls in the queue (and it was super busy) all picking up and buying this set. Which is really great and shows how important it is for representation of women in STEM.

What you get in this set is four mini figures and three little scenes. This set doesn't take particularly long to make but is really fun and quite easy. One thing about it apart from the fact that the box art is gorgeous is that the instructions booklet comes with a bio of each of these awesome women.
I'd say these little scenes range in difficulty so I'm going to talk about each one in order of difficulty starting with the easiest, Margaret Hamilton's set. Margaret Hamilton worked on the Appollo space mission where she worked on the software. She is famed for a picture of her standing next to a towering pile of her calculations and that is the scene Lego has brought to life here. It's very good, quite simple to construct and looks brilliant.

This is Nancy G. Roman's set. Nancy G.Roman worked at NASA where she was known as the "Mother of Hubble" for her work on the famous telescope. This one was pretty easy for the most part although the satelite did take quite a while. It's quite small parts so if you are doing this set with kids they'll probably need help.

This one brings us to the final set which is a double bubble of awesome astronauts Mae Jeminson and Sally Ride. Mae Jeminson was the first African American female astronaut in space and Sally Ride was the first woman in space and also a lesbian. This was definitely my favourite set to make. The shuttle is a bit complicated but it looks awesome when its done and theres amazing attention to detail. I loved their accessories as well as it really gave them personality.

So heres the finished sets all together. I really loved this and as I said I'm always so happy to see representation of women in STEM and this lineup is also pretty diverse which is awesome. I loved this kit and I'm looking at purchasing more LEGO ideas sets.



Comments

Popular Posts