Rabbits by Terry Miles: A review

 

Firstly sorry it's been so long guys things have been a little busy lately and I just haven't gotten round to blogging. But now I'm back and have a few things coming up. I have a lot to say but it's just taking a while. Secondly this book was sent to me by the lovely people at Pan Macmillan (with the help of the lovely Black crow PR) . Anyway with those formalities out of the way let's move onto the review of this mindbending book!
Plot time: K, is obsessed with the bizarre AR game Rabbits that dissapears and reappears every couple of years and it looks like its about to start again. However Alan Scarpio ,a famous millionaire and former winner of the game, comes to him to tell him something is horribly wrong and only K can fix it. Then Scarpio dissapears and the game is on...

Rabbits completely fried my brain. It's a mindbender and a half that will leave you guessing at every turn. Think Ready Player One crossed with Douglas Adams and just a dash of the existential dread/horror of Chuck Palahniuk at his best.  At times you almost forget its a book. It is one of the most immerisive stories I've ever read and I couldn't put it down even when at times I needed a break to process whatever the hell just went on.

K is a character you will grow to love. It's really cool to see a book with a neurodivergent lead that outwardly states he's neurodivergent and doesn't just hint at this. It's a fantastic touch and is worked really well into the plot of the book. What's nice is his neurodivergence isn't his burden or his superpower its just part of him.

I don't want to spoil the other characters or much more of the plot other than it is totally beleivavle and totally bananas at the same time. Rabbits as a concept is truly terrorfying its like a mix between the concept of DVD easter eggs, deep fakes and jsut a hint of the matrix. The idea of the game is so big you and K almost can't see what is Rabbits and what isn't. It's omnipresent and also potentially not there at all. It's everything and nothing and thats what makes it do damn scary.

Overall I loved this book it scared the hell out of me and I could not put it down. Now I need to check out the podcast based in the same universe!


via GIPHY

Comments

Popular Posts