Dearest Josephine by Caroline George: review

 
Welcome everyone to the first review of the year. Firstly an apology for reasons I don't fully understand my computer won't connect to my e-reader so I'm having to read ARCS off my desktop which is why theres no pretty book blogger-y photo for this one. I'm trying to fix it but for now I'll just be using covers!
This book may just be the best start to 2021 I could have possibly had. It's gentle, calm and kind and packs a hell of an emotional punch. It's not my usual book at all and to be honest the Eidelweiss blurb had me rolling my eyes. A cute romance with a dead guy please! I was very very wrong. This book is just about the most adorable thing I have ever read. 

But I am getting ahead of myself. Dearest Josephine is a story about Josie a girl who's just split up with her awful boyfriend and her Dad has died. She then finds out her Dad had bought an ancient crumbling estate in the middle of nowhere and after reconnecting with her best friend she had fought with via email updates her on her day to day life in middle of nowhere England. Meanwhile hundreds of years ago Elias Roch fell in love with a girl called Josephine and never found her again. Josie discovers the letters and a beautiful set of events happen afterwards.

This book had me in tears. It's adorable and emotive. Josie may not be the perfect girl but she's a relatable and lovable protagonist. On the verge of becoming a recluse her relationship with Oliver the local boy is cute as hell and her obsession over the letters is fascinating.

Honestly I just 100%loved this book a gentle and sweet story filled with emotional heft. Just stunning. George's prose is just beautiful and by the end of it I felt Josie was like an old friend and I  did not want to say goodbye. Seek this one out!

via GIPHY

Comments

Popular Posts