Holiday Reads 2020: Beaches, Mistakes and Hazy Days


 Do you ever try to come up with a bunch of books to fit the theme holiday reads because you just wanted a nice aesthetic? Yeah well thats what i've done for this. I put a poll on twitter for this weeks blog and Holiday reads won but I decided I wanted a very specific type of holiday. The kind where things go wrong but theres beaches, the sea and a sort of cool haze over the whole thing you know. 
So here is my list of books that fulfil this random ass aesthetic I came up with and are also perfect Holiday reads. 

The One for if you fancy  a Laugh
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe

Hilarious, silly and utterly compulsive. I read this on the train in half and hour and laughed most of the way. Yes it's the inspiration of one of Aardman's most underrated (if you ask me) classics but the book is brilliant in it's own right. A little more grown up but just as fun and silly. The pirates are bizarre the adventures are strange and the chaos is quirky. A classic!

The One for Lore Lovers 
The Siren by Keira Cass

I'd wanted to read one of Keira Cass's books for a while as I just narrowly missed The Selection series.When I saw this up for sale on twitter I knew I had to get it. I was not expecting it to be as good. I just loved the concepts and lore she used for The sirens. The love story was ok but the mythology was awesome. Really reminded me of the Ingo series totally reccomend.

The One for Pinterest Lovers
The Weetzie Bat Books by Franchesca Lia Block

Nothing says summer like the world of Weetzie Bat. Pastel skies, bizarre names and beautiful sunsets are all in these bizarrely beautiful adventures. I feel like not enough people know of these books and more need to read them especially with how big YA is at the moment. Pick up some Weetzie Bat and your holiday will get better!

The One for Sarcasm Lovers
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Here's another YA classic and one that I don't hear much of either. A big ol' gay adventure about a bunch of pageant queens trapped on an island. It's big, silly and incredibly biting. If you want somethign a bit different with a bit of bite. This is the holiday read for you.

and what you've all been waiting for my random aesthetic I came up with for this post. 




Comments

Popular Posts